Friday, March 5, 2010

Stila Olivia dupe and how to reuse your old lipsticks

You all know that I've fallen in love with the Stila Olivia lipstick but this is one of those lipsticks that's hard to come by. Why do all GOOD lipsticks get discontinued? I went to MAC earlier this week with my Olivia in tow with a mission to find a good dupe. I found one in a lipstick form and one in a lipgloss.

MAC Shy Girl looks pretty close to Stila Olivia if you ask me. MAC Shy Girl has a touch more pink in it where the Olivia as a peach/pink tone. But, for me this one is as close as you are going to get.

MAC 2N in my opinion is pretty close to Stila Oliva but in a gloss. It's a little more peach toned but it's the best dupe I could find. Very pretty. This gloss is also LE so get it while it's hot!

(L-R MAC Shy Girl, Stila Olivia, MAC 2N)

How to fix your old or broken lipsticks
I ordered 2 more back up's of the Stila Oliva on ebay and they came today. I was so excited but that didn't last long. I opened one up and put it on my lips but it was so hard that I could barely get any lipstick on my lips. It smelled SO bad. You know the smell. Old lipstick. It's just plain nasty. The lipstick looked really weird and broke in half when I was looking it over. So, I had a plan. I was going to try and save this nasty lipstick.

Gross, bumpy, stiff, stinky old lipstick

This is what I did:
First I scooped out all of the lipstick with a clean kitchen knife and a clean boobie pin.


I then put all of the product in a glass microwavable safe bowl

I then placed the bowl in the microwave for 6 seconds. I took it out and mixed it up then put it back in for another 6 seconds. I did this process about 5 more times until it was nice and creamy.

I found an old concealer/powder palette and removed the pans from that. This was the only palette I could find because this was a spur of the moment experiment.


I then took my knife and a small spoon and placed the product in the palette. It was really hard to get the product to look even half way decent in there but it does the trick!!

This is what the color looks like on the lips. I actually think it looks better this way than in the tube. It feels and looks much creamier. I'm really happy I did this because I was really upset at how gross these lipsticks came when I got them. So, now I know... you can always save an old or broken lipstick... and it maybe even look better on than it did in the tube!

Night beauties,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment